Updated: Apr 28, 2021
While some babies cut their tooth with no signs discomfort, most babies experience some pain when their teeth has stated to poke through.
Early signs of teething may include:
Skin Rashes: Some babies get rashes all over their mouth, cheeks, neck and even in the diaper area. Keeping the mouth, cheeks and neck dry from drool can help prevent rashes. You can also apply breast milk to the rashes or coconut oil. Encouraging diaper free time is the most natural way to heal mild rashes.
Biting & Gnawing: Babies are smart and can figure out pretty quickly that biting & chewing is a pain reliever. The counter pressure from biting things can be soothing to their aching gums.
Cheek Rubbing & Ear pulling: This is caused by pain in the gums, which can travel to the cheek and ear, especially when the molars are erupting. But also, keep in mind that ear pulling or rubbing of the ear (accompanied with a high fever) can be a sign of an ear infection.
Low grade fever (ranging from 98-100): Teething sometimes may come with a low-grade fever that is less than 101 degrees. If baby has a temperature of more than 101 degrees then it is possible the body is fighting an infection. Offering breastmilk or formula to keep baby well hydrated, dressing baby in light cotton clothing, keeping them cool with a cool face towel for their forehead
Here is a compilation some of our favorite remedies when baby is experiencing discomfort when teething.
1. Freeze Breastmilk, Formula or pureed fruits/vegetables and serve to baby in these these baby popsicle trays
Nuby Garden Fresh Fruitsicle Frozen Pop Tray (We loved these trays because the handles were perfect for little hands to grab)
2. Freeze Foods like banana, mango, avocado or sweet potatoes and put in silicone feeders
3. Freeze a Washcloth and allow baby to chew. You can freeze a damp washcloth and let the baby chew on the washcloth to get a cool, as well as numbing sensation. In addition, you can also soak the damp cloth in chamomile tea.
4. Boiron – Camilia Homeopathic Drops - Made with chamomile and other plant-based active ingredients. Benzocaine-free, no preservatives, flavors, or sugar. Offered in pre-measured liquid doses that come 15 or 30 doses a box - the liquid dose vials are also sterile, recyclable and small enough to carry anywhere!
5. Place Gel Teethers in the Freezer or if it seems too cold, place in the refrigerator.
6. Baby Banana Silicone Toothbrush Teether – Chewing on a toothbrush will help promote good oral health in addition to getting babies used to having a toothbrush in their mouth while giving their gums a nice massage.
7. Punkin Butt Teething Oil – Punkin Butt Teething Oil is 100% natural and 100% safe, made by infusing Organic chamomile, Organic peppermint & Organic clove in Organic sunflower oil to help soothe and comfort by gently massaging the oil onto the affected gums with clean fingers or a cotton swab as often as needed.
8. Earthley Teeth Tamer Teething Oil - Herbal extract made with whole Organic cloves (for topical pain relief and anti-bacterial properties) and Organic catnip (its unique effect in calming humans and natural anti-bacterial properties), alcohol-free and baby-safe. You can use this to apply Teeth Tamer to around the gum area or directly into baby’s mouth.
9. Raw Unpolished Baltic Amber Teething Necklace / Bracelets – The Baltic amber teething necklace works when you allow your child to wear it snug against their skin. The warmth of your child’s skin causes the release of natural oils in the amber. When that happens, your child’s skin then absorbs the oils, which enters the bloodstream and works their magic.
10. Love & snuggles – Love is the best remedy! Give some snuggles your little one.